Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Butter Mochi


Ever since I went back to work from maternity leave, I've been working with a new group of people. I have to say I'm happy with where I'm at! Oh and they love to eat! There's always something to eat... which makes it hard to diet but that's no one's fault because I love to eat too! I should practice some self control! haha

One day, there was an email from someone who brought in butter mochi... and I thought to myself "butter mochi?" I've never heard of that and I like mochi. It was so good. It was soft, gooey, and sweet (but not too sweet). Right away, I knew this must be a Hawaiian thing... and why haven't I heard of this from my Hawaiian friend? I texted her right away asking her why she's been holding out on me? :)

I sent my husband to the market (or more like he was already going) to pick up a few things I needed to make butter mochi. We all know that sending your husband to pick up a few things usually end up with incorrect items! Wait... is that just my husband? :D He picked up condensed milk instead of evaporated milk. And we ran out of eggs at home so I had to wait until Easter to make it... it was worth the wait!

I found a few recipes on Pinterest and also got it from my friend so I just did my own version (not too off the recipe). I used a little less flour because I only had one box. I used less sugar because it made me feel a little better about adding a whole stick of butter! I was not sure what the ounces were used in the "cans" of evaporated milk & coconut milk... in the end all that matters was it was goooood! And it was!

INGREDIENTS:

1Box (16 oz) Sweet Rice Flour (Mochiko Brand) - It measured approx. 3 cups
2 Cups Sugar
2 Tablespoons Baking Powder
5 Eggs, Beaten
1.5 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
2 Cans (12oz) Evaporated Milk
1 Can (13.5oz) Coconut Milk
1 Stick Butter, Melted

DIRECTIONS:

1) Preheat oven at 350°

2) Combine rice flour, sugar & baking powder in one bowl and set aside

3) In another bowl, beat eggs & vanilla extract (I used a hand mixer on low speed)


4) Add the butter, evaporate milk and coconut milk

5) Beat until well combined

6) Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients...

My son held the hand mixer while I slowly poured in the flour mixture. He loves to help. I hope he grows up loving to cook. It's a good thing his dad cooks for us (I'm so lucky) and he loves to be like daddy :)


I wasn't sure how long to mix but I think we mixed for about 1-2 minutes.

7) Pour into a greased 9x13 pan and bake for 50-55 minutes.

8) Let cool. I ate it right out of the pan but my friend says she cuts them into squares and put them in cupcake liners. Maybe next time. This time, I think I'll use my claws haha!


He's getting better at cracking the eggs ^_^




Logan helping with the hand mixer







No comments :

Post a Comment