Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Spam Musubi


SPAM! I love Spam. Most people will not even eat it. I watch Bizarre Foods and although Andrew Zimmern eats everything, he doesn't like Spam...really? He'll eat random gross things! haha

Anyway my dear, dear friend taught me how to make this. She is from Hawaii and if you've ever been there, there's Spam Musubi everywhere! I honestly don't remember exactly the way she made it but this is the way I've been making it. You can adjust the sauce to your taste.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 Can of SPAM
  • 4 Nori Sheets
  • Cooked Japanese (short grain) Rice (I used 4 uncooked cups, cooked of course)
  • Spam Musubi mold
SAUCE:  
  • 4 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
  • 2 Teaspoon Vinegar
  • 1 Tablespoon Sugar
Update 9/25/14: I don't know when SPAM starting making the Teriyaki version of SPAM but I just saw these at Costco and bought a pack & they were yummy! It's not as salty as I make it with the sauce but it's still good and it's one less thing to do! I was super excited!

If you use this, skip the sauce!



DIRECTIONS:

Cook rice. Mix ingredients for sauce in a bowl. Cut Nori sheets in half (length wise). Cut Spam into 8 slices (length wise) & brown in a pan on both sides. Add sauce coating Spam as much as you can and simmer for about 3-4 minutes. Turn off heat. 

Place mold in the middle of the Nori sheet and add rice about 1/3 full. Add 1 piece of Spam. Top with another layer of rice. Using the other piece of mold, press down and pull the larger piece up. Place mold pieces in a bowl of hot water to prevent rice from sticking. Pull Nori sheet up to wrap it and place seam side down.

Repeat for the other 7 pieces. 

PHOTOS:

Cut the Spam into 8 pieces length wise:


Cut Nori Sheets in half length wise. I often forget and would place the mold on the sheets to remind me!



Brown in pan:


Add sauce & simmer for 3-4 minutes: 9/25/14 If you use the Teriyaki SPAM, you won't need sauce!


Place mold in middle. Add rice, add Spam, & top with rice. 





Using other piece, press down and slide big piece up & place mold in hot water bowl:



Wrap it up and place aside, seam side down:




Serve in one piece or cut into smaller pieces using a serrated knife (wetting knife between slicing helps prevent rice from sticking).





No comments :

Post a Comment