Monday, July 27, 2015

Rum Cake


I just tasted the best rum cake ever... Ms. DC brought some in at work. I ate more than I probably should.

I've never had rum cake that moist and yummy before! I asked for the recipe and she sent me a link to GimmeSomeOven's blog with her own alternations.

INGREDIENTS:

Cake

1 Box Yellow Cake Mix (18.25oz)
1 Package Vanilla Instant Pudding Mix (3.4 oz)
4 Eggs
1/2 Cup Sour Cream
1/2 Cup Rum
Extra Sugar for Pan
1 tsp Vanilla Extract

Glaze

1/2 Cup Butter
1/2 Cup Rum (divided)
1 Cup White Sugar

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat Oven 325° F. Grease bundt pan & pour sugar into it and swirl around until inside of pan is covered. (I may not do this next time, I thought it was too sweet and there was excess sugar where the PAM spray pooled).

Combine Cake Mix and Vanilla Pudding in a large bowl. Add in eggs, sour cream, rum, & vanilla extract. Mix well. 

Pour into pan and bake for 60 minutes (mine would have taken less time, I think 50-55?).

GLAZE - Combine butter, white sugar, half of the rum (1/4 cup) in a saucepan on med heat and stir constantly for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the remaining 1/4 cup rum.

Let cake cool for about 10 minutes before turning it right side up. Poke holes in cake with toothpick and spoon glaze over the cake... 

My husband hates it when I make banana bread or muffins but he said this was approved (over the banana stuff) haha.

Not all cake mixes are made equal! I'm sure anyone would do fine but I never really paid attention to the weight of the mix. It seems Duncan Hines is the few that carries 18.25 oz size boxes.



Ah Jello! I love adding these to my cake mixes (vanilla to yellow, chocolate to chocolate, etc.)



I was so excited to find out that the eggs I buy from Costco are now in clear plastic containers. I hated opening the foam ones to make sure that the eggs weren't cracked. I can tell many get cracked because customers open them.



I am not a rum drinker so I just picked up this one...



I ended up using my hand mixer on the batter because I was having a hard time combining the ingredients.



Hmmm.... I couldn't wait to dig in!


Turned it over and glazed the whole sucka!



YUM! My 2 year old loved the cake. My 5 year old said "It smells disgusting mommy, you shouldn't cook things that smell so disgusting" haha 


No comments :

Post a Comment